Friday, July 14, 2006

Good morning.

Yesterday, I had a feeling that I had to play soccer(football for some of you). I realized that when I get back from our trip that I will be horrible at soccer. I have only played two matches in the 10 months we have been on the boat.

Also yesterday I downloaded two neat programs produced by M.I.T. that are really interesting. Well to me at least. I downloaded Starlogo 2, and Starlogo TNG. Starlogo 2 is 2D and is my favorite of the two. Starlogo TNG is 3d and I don't like it as much. These programs allow you to command turtles using simple programming codes. For example

to setup
ca
crt 10
ask-turtles [setc blue fd 10]
ask-turtles [seth random 360 fd random 10]
end


That code is pretty complex for me. It means "If you want to "Setup" clear the map of all tiles and turtles, create 10 turtles, ask the turtles to change their color to blue, move forward 10 spaces, ask the turtles to turn randomly between zero and 360 degrees, ask the turtle to move randomly between 0 and 10 degrees, that is how to setup"

Now you are probably wondering what turtles are, turtles are the "creatures" that can move around the map. Tiles are the tiles on the ground which can't move. That picture is the end result of what that line of code did. If you do download this program I highly advise you go through the tutorial.

I also got two useful programs called Microsoft Visual basic, and Microsoft Visual Web Developer. Those are both free, but I wouldn't advise downloading them, because the files are huge. Luckily the person who suggested them to me had it on a CD.

Every program I mentioned is free.

No comments: